In the heat of the summer, who doesn’t like a swim and a frozen treat?!
When Nashville Hiking Meetup walks shelter dogs in hot weather, we typically end with dog baths, dips in the baby pool, and home made Pupsicles! I found lots of deviations to frozen doggie popsicle recipes online but they basically use the same ingredients and methodology.
[av_hr class=’invisible’ height=’10’ shadow=’no-shadow’ position=’center’ custom_border=’av-border-thin’ custom_width=’50px’ custom_border_color=” custom_margin_top=’20px’ custom_margin_bottom=’20px’ icon_select=’yes’ custom_icon_color=” icon=’ue808′ font=’entypo-fontello’]
- Three (3) ripe bananas
- 1 cup of low fat peanut butter (should be salt free, sugar free and NOT contain Xylitol which is an artificial sweetener and very toxic)
- 64 oz plain low fat yogurt
Mash bananas and stir in peanut butter blended with 64 oz plain low fat yogurt. You can add honey if you wish. Pour about 1/2 cup into each freezable plastic cup. Insert small Milk Bone treat to be used as the handle. Freeze overnight. To serve you will need to dip each cup into warm water to loosen container.
If you blend all ingredients together for smoothness then you will need to allow the Pupsicles to set up before they will hold the Milk Bone handle upright.
Other container ideas could be ice cube trays, muffin pans or any festive shaped molds.
[av_hr class=’invisible’ height=’10’ shadow=’no-shadow’ position=’center’ custom_border=’av-border-thin’ custom_width=’50px’ custom_border_color=” custom_margin_top=’30px’ custom_margin_bottom=’30px’ icon_select=’yes’ custom_icon_color=” icon=’ue808′ font=’entypo-fontello’]
- Layer yogurt with canned pumpkin to create sensitive tummy treats. The pumpkin is good for the digestive system.
- Blend blueberries and layer with yogurt.
- Blend strawberries and layer with blended blueberries and yogurt to create a triple layered fruity treat.
- Blend turkey and pumpkin baby food into yogurt for a more savory treat. Double check that there is no onion powder in the ingredients listing.
- My dogs also like corn, carrots and green beans which make a great veggie treat when mixed with plain yogurt.
I hope you have fun making personalized frozen treats for your special furry family members! If you have any suggestions, please let us know in the comments.Read More